Have you or someone you know been involved in a serious Mississippi accident and you have experienced just how difficult it is to move forward during these trying times? Perhaps you have sustained serious injuries that you have never felt before, need legal representation from a car accident attorney who has experience to help you gain the recovery you deserve, have emotional damages on your plate, or have experienced financial burdens during this difficult time. You might be facing a variety of issues that are unlike anything you have been through before in your life, which is why you need resources and professionals on your side to help you during this desperate time in your life.
If Your Accident Took Away Your Ability to Work
Sometimes, after an accident, you don’t just feel the effects of the injury through medical bills, rehabilitation, and more. Sometimes, it all comes down to not being able to afford these new sets of bills because you are unable to return to work. You are entitled to a vast variety of benefits that can help you through this difficult time.
- Social Security Disability Benefits: In Mississippi, these benefits can help you exponentially in a time when you are unable to return to work due to a serious injury. If your condition is expected to last one year, these benefits might be perfect for you. Follow this helpful link to help you start the multi-step process that will help you retain benefits that can help you and your family during this difficult time.
- Supplemental Security Income: At this link, you will be able to find out more information on the supplemental security income benefits that might be available to you, which help those who are disabled or have little to no income and need to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and more for their family.
- The Mississippi Bar: The Bar Association can help assist you when you are in need of connecting to a personal injury attorney who can help when you are seeking damages for your accident case.
Need help with requesting an official copy of the incident police report?
Obtaining a copy of the police report following an accident helps injured victims prove their negligence claims against all responsible parties. For those who were harmed in car accidents in the state of Mississippi, copies of police reports can be obtained via mail, online, or in-person. The fee to pick up a police report in person or have it mailed is $15. To receive a copy of the report online costs $20.
We also have a local personal injury lawyer who is willing to obtain a complimentary copy of your police report for you.
If you or a loved one was hurt in a Mississippi car accident and are having a hard time obtaining the police report, contact our office and we will help you get one.
Many people believe that, following a car accident, the physical injuries you experience are going to be the worst aspects you feel. However, the lasting emotions that follow you in a car accident case can also be immensely life-altering, which means that you will need support on your side at this time. If you still feel the deep wounds left over from an accident, let us help you by following these resources:
- DMH: The Mississippi Department of Mental Health offers a statewide system that can help you if you are feeling emotional disturbance from a wide variety of causes and help you receive the care you need to move forward at this time.
- Mississippi Trauma Groups: If you have experienced some type of trauma, due to a car accident or a variety of other reasons, these specific trauma groups are designed to help you get the help you need.
When You Are Seeking Assistance to Help Pay for Crime-Related Expenses
The weight of legal fees can be a heavy one indeed, which is why you should always have help on your side when you are trying to pay for crime-related expenses in Mississippi. If you have been involved in an accident due to a crime, such as a hit-and-run accident or drunk driving, you have many rights. Here is a resource that might be able to offer you financial assistance at this time:
- Victim’s Compensation in Mississippi: The Mississippi Victim’s Compensation network offers you financial assistance if you have been the victim of a crime. Innocent victims should not have to fight on their own as they work toward the damages they need during this time. You are not alone.
Car Insurance Information
All Mississippi drivers who have a license must carry liability insurance, which covers the other car and driver when you are at fault for an accident. There are certain types of insurance that are required under Mississippi law. Here are the following minimum amount that are required for you to carry:
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
You also have the right to carry a variety of other optional insurance coverges such as collision, comprehensive, uninsured and underinsured coverage, medical payment coverage, and more. You have a right to choose which insurance is right for you.
Accident Due to a Drunk Driver
Drunk and drugged driving accidents are some of the most devastating accidents that take place on our roads for a variety of reasons. They can cause extreme amounts of damage such as injuries, fatalities, property damage, and more that can change your life forever. Under Mississippi law, there are certain amounts of BAC that will lead to DUI charges in drivers. These include the following:
- BAC of .02% and over for anybody over 21
- .08% BAC for those over 21 years of age
- .04% for all commercial drivers on our roadways
If an officer suspects that the other driver was driving under the influence of drugs at the time, they will give a blood test to help them make this determination and charges could result. Below is a special resource that will help you find support you need during this difficult time if you have been involved in one of these accidents:
- MADD Mississippi: Mothers Against Drunk Driving is a nonprofit that helps end drunk and drugged driving in its wake. If you are in need of support because you have been involved in a drunk or drugged driving accident, MADD can help in your time of need. With a 24-hour victim helpline and other resources for you to use, you will find endless support during this time.
Accident in Mississippi by the Numbers
Below, you can find a plethora of information related to traffic fatalities that take place on Mississippi roads. Of course, one thing that you should remember is that the state’s population can have a major impact on the number of fatalities that take place in a specific state. In 2017, there were 2.9 million people living in Mississippi. Here are some statistics that were gathered regarding traffic fatalities from 2015-2016:
Impaired Driving Fatalities
- From 2003-2012, 2,560 people lost their lives due to the negligence of a drunk driver on Mississippi roads.
Distracted Driving Fatalities
- In 2015, 3,477 people lost their lives due to distracted driving accidents.
Total Accident Fatalities
- In Mississippi, there were 690 fatalities on our roads in just 2016 alone.